Building a 66 Chevelle Pro Street Car

Discussion in 'Pro Street Car Discussion' started by Chevyguy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

I'm currently building a 66 Chevelle. I bought a 572 crate motor and will be driving the car on the street to car shows and the dragstrip occasionally. I have a lot of questions so I hope you don't mind me asking for opinions. I have seen your cars at the track and have heard from friends that you do all your own work and work on race cars for other people and was considering bringing the car and motor to you when it's done at the body shop.

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Administrator Staff Member

Hi, yes I'm still working on race cars and engines here so if you need anything done just let me know. I only take on one car at a time now so I can keep space open for the engine and motorcycle work. What are you looking to have done?

Like I mentioned in your introduction post feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

3. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

I was thinking about changing the cam in the new 572 crate motor and I still need to decide which ignition system I want to go with. The car is all wired and ready to put the motor in but I have to wait for the body and paint guy to finish now. If I'm going to change the cam I'd like to get that done while he's working on the car. The car has a 12 bolt posi rear end but I'm not sure what the gear ratio is. The gear was in the car when I bought it and I was told it was a 488.

4. HotRodCarts

A 488 gear might be more than you need. If you're going to do anything to the rear end I'd consider a 411 gear with a Strange Engineering posi unit and axles.

5. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

What about a spool can you drive on the street with a spool?

6. HotRodCarts

I know a lot of guys that do. You'll need to be careful turning corners with a spool but you can drive on the street with one.

7. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

Well my car is still at the body shop waiting for paint. At this point I'm almost ready to pull it out of there and get someone else to do the paint job.