Need Advice On Transmission Foy My 66 Chevelle And 572 Crate Motor

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Discussion' started by Chevyguy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

I just read your advice on going down to a 411 gear ratio from my current 488. When I get the car back from the body shop I'll take the cover off and see what I have in there. My Chevelle is setup for a Turbo 400 but I don't have a transmission or converter yet. There's a transmission shop in Crete that says he can build me a Turbo 400 and order a 3500 RPM stall converter that can handle the power the 572 will put out. What do you recommend?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Administrator Staff Member

The only Automatic Transmissions and Torque Converters I use is Coan. With our Monte Carlo we tried every transmission builder we could find and the Coan transmissions and converters were the only ones that wouldn't break on the first burnout. We still broke Coan transmissions and converters but they held up for 15-20 passes. The Monte Carlo weighed 3450 lbs and when spraying was making at least 1600 horsepower so it was hard on transmissions and converters. :)
    We use his transmissions and torque converters in all of our Turbo 400 cars including the 67 Impala that weighed 4400 lbs. and rarely had problems in that car. Same with the 65 Ol Juggler Impala.
    If I was building a car with your setup I'd go with a Coan 5500 RPM Stall Converter and a Coan Turbo 400 transmission. If you call him and tell him exactly what you have and what your plans are he will build you a transmission and converter that will work right for your setup and will hold up. Here's a link to Coans website if you want to look around and get his contact information.
    CoanRacing.Com | Torque Converters and Automatic Transmissions

As far as the 12 bolt rear end goes if it has stock axles and posi unit and you wind up buying new stuff plus a ring and pinion you may be better off spending the extra money and putting a Ford 9 inch rear end in the car and never have to worry about breaking it. It really all depends on what your plans are for the car and how much money you want to spend. If your going to take it to the dragstrip and race in the long run you'll be better off going with the good parts now. If you're just going to drive to car shows you would be safe with the 12 bolt rear end but I'd still go with a Coan 5500 stall torque converter and Coan Turbo 400.

3. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

I'll be pulling the cover off the rear end as soon as I get the car back from the body shop to see what I have and decide which way to go with the rear end. I got the contact information from the Coan website and will be giving them a call on Monday for prices on a transmission and torque converter. I'll let you know what they tell me at Coan. Thank you so much the information.