Nitrous hookup issue

Discussion in 'Fuel and Nitrous System' started by Dartzilla, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Dartzilla

Dartzilla New Member

We never had nitrous before and recently put a single plate system on our car. We are just about ready to put nitrous in the bottle and try it out. We have an MSD 6AL ignition, and a MSD Timing retard control box (have set on 5 and 5 on first two dials = 10 total retard)., also have a NOS Mini 2 stage progressive controller that is hooked up but not programmed yet. It was our understanding that timing retard should not begin until the nitrous is activated. Is that correct? We started car up to double check the timing and it was already retarded by 10 deg. without the nitrous switch being activated. We put both dials back to zero until we find out what is going on. Shop that did the wiring suggested that we just buy a Delay box and they would redo it for free but i don't trust them to do anything else now. Any ideas what could be going on or what we need to change?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Administrator Staff Member

You don't want the timing to retard until you start spraying unless you're going to spray when you leave. My cars were always setup up to spray from A-Z so I would retard my timing right before I staged. On cars I setup to only spray in high gear I hooked the retard box to the Nitrous button. There's a MSD manual in the resource section of the forum that has wiring diagrams in it. MSD Wiring Diagrams | OL Boy Drag Racing Forum and Pro Street Forum
    Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

3. Dartzilla

Dartzilla New Member

Thanks for the wiring diagram references. I believe the retard box is hooked up to the Nitrous Progressive Controller, however we don't have the controller programmed yet. Anyone know if this needs to be programmed before it will restrict the timing until the nitrous is activated? We don't have a manual nitrous button, only an activation switch and WOT. We are planning on using 100-125 at around .8 or maybe even off the hit if we can, then ramp the other 100-125 at around 2-3 seconds.

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Administrator Staff Member

When I ran the switch at WOT I retarded the timing right before I staged.

5. Dartzilla

Dartzilla New Member

OK thanks, appreciate the information, have a great day.