Should I Change The Camshaft In a New 572 Crate Motor

Discussion in 'Hi-Perfromance Engines' started by Chevyguy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

I bought a new Chevrolet 572 crate motor and was considering changing the camshaft but after downloading and reading about the piston to valve clearance checking from the forum resources I'm reconsidering changing the cam. What's your opinion on the stock camshaft that comes with the 572 crate motors? Do you think I should change the cam or am I opening up a can of worms? I'll be driving the car on the street for short drives to car shows but I plan on racing the car at the dragstrip too.

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Administrator Staff Member

Which 572 crate engine did you buy the ZZ572/620 (19201333) or ZZ572/720R (19201334)? Did you buy just the short block or complete engine?
    I believe both come with a 714/714 lift 278/282 duration cam and it's a good cam. It's close on specs to the Comp Cams and Cam Dynamics 714/714 with slightly less duration. My dad and I have used the Comp Cams and Cam Dynamics 714/714 cams in a lot of engines and they perform well with and without Nitrous and still street drivable. If you're thinking about changing the cam you would definitely need to check the piston to valve clearance, reset the valve spring height and depending on the cam new valve springs and lifters. If it was me I would leave the 714/714 cam in it. If and when you decide to freshen the engine you could think about changing the cam then. I think you'll be happy with the 714/714 cam the 572 crate engines come with.

3. Chevyguy

Chevyguy New Member

I bought the ZZ572/720R 572 ci. That's good news about the 714/714 lift cam I think I'll leave it in and use the money on the transmission, converter and rearend.

4. AQK1

AQK1 New Member

5. AQK1

AQK1 New Member

Actually there are different camshafts in the 620 and 720 versions of the 572. See attached specs. The 720 does have the bigger of the two so you should be good to go.

Attached Files:

HotRodCarts likes this.
  6. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum AQK1. Thanks for the information on the 572 cams that come in the 620 and 720 versions.
    Feel free to jump in and help get some activity on the new forum. :)